Who do I call if people are violating Muskoka’s fire ban?

The following is an excerpt of an article by Paige Phillips on the Muskoka Region website. The original article can be found here: https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/8729918-who-do-i-call-if-people-are-violating-muskoka-s-fire-ban-/

MUSKOKA — There’s a fire ban in effect in Muskoka, which means burning is not allowed at any time of the day. But you see someone violating the ban. Do you know who to call?

A fire ban for the Muskoka Region has been in effect since Thursday, July 5 as the regional fire danger rating reached extreme. An extreme rating means no burning is allowed at any time of day. No fires, including charcoal barbecues are permitted for cooking or warmth. Fireworks are also restricted in an extreme rating. Ultimately, a complete fire ban is in effect.

Over the weekend, MuskokaRegion.com received numerous complaints and comments from readers about individuals who were disregarding the fire ban, setting off fireworks, lighting bonfires and so on, and were at a loss of who to call in these situations. Many instinctively thought to call 9-1-1 but felt that step was too extreme. So who do you call if you observe someone violating a fire ban and engaging in potentially dangerous behaviour?

We spoke with members of the Huntsville OPP who advise members of the public to call the OPP Communications Centre, located in Orillia, at 1-888-310-1122.

Calling the Comm Centre still alerts police to the issue; however, it is not placed as an emergent, or priority, call. When available, an officer will attend the scene and speak with the individuals involved cautioning them of the ongoing fireban and/or warn them.